A letter to kentucky

Date written: July 28, 2016

Kentucky,

I've realized I want to dive deeper and become more involved in the activist community of Kentucky. But first, I feel the need to apologize for being so late to the game. I've been critical of you for many years. But you have to understand, I experienced a lot of pain growing up, as you well know. I felt alienated, judged, misunderstood. For believing differently than most other Kentuckians, particularly my rural communities. Being told I needed therapy for questioning the dominant belief system. My parents having the youth minister come to my house to talk with me about why I wasn't baptized. That something must be wrong with me. Always being made to feel like something was wrong with me. Constantly having well-meaning folks say how they're praying for me, pray for my soul.

It made me want to escape and left me with resentment. But I'm working through it. 

'm beginning to appreciate Kentucky for it's complexity. 

The pinnacles of Berea, the character of Bardstown Road, the quiet peace in downtown Frankfort, the red river gorge and Miguels, the architecture and arts community of Northern Kentucky, the complexities of environmental and economic struggles of eastern Kentucky. 

So, I'm sorry Kentucky. I'm sorry the first words out of my mouth when traveling or meeting someone new weren't always positive. At least until someone made a negative remark, then I'd always come to your defense. 

I'm sorry I've contributed to the educational flight that too often happens in the south. Leaving you for Massachusetts. But I'm a work in progress. I've been hurt by you. By your people. And I'm learning how to forgive. And not just forgive, but love. Be patient with me. 

Kentucky, I am working on loving you. 

Sincerely,
Liz


Comments