Letter To My Conservative Friends
Please know that
while I criticize our President and his administration, I do not want failure. Because his failure
only comes at the cost of hurting millions of people. I reach out to you, my
conservative friends, as a human being. No judgements, no
name-calling. Though that’s never really been my style anyway. Please know that
while I fundamentally disagree with you, I don’t judge you.
In fact, your beliefs resonate with me. Unlike many of my liberal peers, I understand where you’re coming from. I grew up conservative. I was taught by conservative parents, in a small conservative school, in a small conservative town. In 2008, at fifteen years old, when Obama won his first term, I remember my sister coming to my room and we called him a socialist. I thought America was doomed with a ‘socialist’ President. Once in high school, I wore red tape over my mouth to protest against abortion (perhaps my first protest, I guess I’ve truly always been an activist at heart). But I was misguided. I had a very limited worldview. I had limited experiences with people outside of that community. This is hard for me to admit sometimes, given who I am and what I believe now, but I think it’s important to share. I say all of this, not to praise the liberal side because they certainly have their own faults. I’ll admit it and would be happy to have a serious conversation with you about it. But to try to start listening to each other. Really listening. I will try to put myself in your shoes and understand where you’re coming from. And I ask that you please do the same for me. We are human beings. And human beings, first. Let’s start treating each other like it. So when you get the urge to share that snarky meme – just don’t. Because you know it will hurt someone, and whether we agree with them or not – let’s try to hurt people less.
In fact, your beliefs resonate with me. Unlike many of my liberal peers, I understand where you’re coming from. I grew up conservative. I was taught by conservative parents, in a small conservative school, in a small conservative town. In 2008, at fifteen years old, when Obama won his first term, I remember my sister coming to my room and we called him a socialist. I thought America was doomed with a ‘socialist’ President. Once in high school, I wore red tape over my mouth to protest against abortion (perhaps my first protest, I guess I’ve truly always been an activist at heart). But I was misguided. I had a very limited worldview. I had limited experiences with people outside of that community. This is hard for me to admit sometimes, given who I am and what I believe now, but I think it’s important to share. I say all of this, not to praise the liberal side because they certainly have their own faults. I’ll admit it and would be happy to have a serious conversation with you about it. But to try to start listening to each other. Really listening. I will try to put myself in your shoes and understand where you’re coming from. And I ask that you please do the same for me. We are human beings. And human beings, first. Let’s start treating each other like it. So when you get the urge to share that snarky meme – just don’t. Because you know it will hurt someone, and whether we agree with them or not – let’s try to hurt people less.
Comments
Post a Comment