Post Undergrad Series: Adulting
I recently had a two and a half hour conversation with
one of my best friends. It had been many months since we had one of these deep, life-questioning conversations. We discussed our current situations, then delved into our struggles. We began to realize we had similar thoughts about post-grad experiences. I had taken a job in Massachusetts that didn't work out, so I had just moved back home to Kentucky. I had gotten a new job at my alma mater doing something I would very much enjoy but also back living in my college town. He lived at home with his parents, working a job he enjoyed. But neither of us had the glamour of a Fulbright, grad school, or living
abroad. I began to talk about my goals for the next two years while being back at Centre.
They were as follows:
They were as follows:
- Get into the graduate school program of my dreams
- Exercise & healthy eating lifestyle
- Daily meditation/reflection
- Buy better quality things that cost more but will last longer
- Write/blog
- Pay my student loans
- Buy new car
I listed these goals and explained how I would use this time
to better myself in ways that I might not be able to do later in life. That way, whatever is next in life, exercising daily will be second
nature to me. I won’t have to work consciously about building that habit. It will already be instilled in me.
He began to picture how this would play out in his own life. He began naming goals: spending less time playing video games, experience in a stable, romantic relationship. After a while we both realized this was adulting. Each phase of our lives being put to good use. So I would encourage everyone to see what you can get out of life at all times. Even if a part of your life seems like a filler until the next part, it doesn’t have to be. There can be growth and adventure. As long as you’re open, stay positive, and willing to put in the effort.
He began to picture how this would play out in his own life. He began naming goals: spending less time playing video games, experience in a stable, romantic relationship. After a while we both realized this was adulting. Each phase of our lives being put to good use. So I would encourage everyone to see what you can get out of life at all times. Even if a part of your life seems like a filler until the next part, it doesn’t have to be. There can be growth and adventure. As long as you’re open, stay positive, and willing to put in the effort.
A friend showed me this link. I found it really helpful. It’s a guide to creating a vision path. I recommend it to everyone. Somehow in the mess of graduating college, I forgot I needed a vision.
http://www.kelleyrosano.com/kelley-rosano/2017-personal-vision-power-path/
Here’s to hoping we all stay positive on our journeys and get the most out of life.
In peace and love,
Liz
Comments
Post a Comment